Private tours can be arranged, by appointment, to see the many varieties of ‘Rosa Cheney’ roses and The Old Rectory gardens.
The Old Rectory garden has steep paths leading to four acres of beguiling natural woodland with many springs and streams. There are two crystal clear pools, one a natural swimming pool, the shallows planted with aquatics. The lawn in front of the house is framed on one side by pleached crab apple trees and cloud topiary. The borders have soft planting, including tulips, peonies, roses and verbascums. There is a walled garden with informal planting, a working kitchen garden and an orchard. The top garden has magnificent views over the Bride valley.
The Old Rectory was the home of the engraver Reynolds Stone and his family from 1957 to 1979. He was greatly inspired by the trees, ivy and hearts tongue ferns and many of his engravings show this strong connection to the garden. The next owners, Hugh and Carol Lindsay, restored the layout of the garden back to the 19th century. Recently, the front garden has been redesigned by Arne Maynard to balance the architecture of the Rectory with the accompanying topiary and herbaceous borders. Many cherry trees and climbing roses have been added to lighten the woodland canopy and the kitchen garden has been redesigned. 'Rosa Cheney' began selling scented cut roses in 2017.
In 2020 the Garden will be open in support of:
The National Garden Scheme (NGS)
Sunday 14th June
Tuesday 2nd September
Sunday 6th September
Tel:01308 482266/07787 512386